Lining lining paper to your walls before you hang wallpaper is vital to a smooth finish for the walls or roof. Lining paper will help:
- Disguise imperfections that are small the surface of walls
- Include another layer of insulation to your living space
- Counter wallpaper shrinking when it is hung regarding the wall surface, avoiding gaps amongst the lengths of paper
- Lower the possibility of spots and markings in the wall surface showing during your wallpaper or fresh coating of paint
- Give you a barrier against penetrating moist and mould
- Protect flammable areas in the case of a fire (search for ‘class zero’ fire-rated liner documents)
In this guide we’ll explain how exactly to;
- Mark a guideline when it comes to very first piece of lining paper
- Measure and cut liner paper
- Apply adhesive right to paper that is liningwe’re utilizing paste the paper liner paper)
- Hang lining paper horizontally on walls
- Hang lining paper on ceilings
How to pick lining paper
Whenever shopping for lining paper there are numerous of facts to consider, getting the many type that is suitable of paper for the project.
Key variants in forms of lining paper are:
- Level – the thickness of this liner paper
- Application – the way of hanging, with various how to use the adhesive
Lining paper comes in various thicknesses, referred to as grades. The grades vary from 800 (thinnest) to 2000 (thickest).
The grade you select depends on the health of the walls. A lining that is thin low-grade paper could be used to protect hairline cracks when you look at the wall’s plastering. If the wall surface is in a poor condition, a thicker 2000 grade lining paper is supposed to be necessary to help cover pitting and much more noticeable plastering flaws.
If you’re not yes which grade to utilize, we advice the 1400 option because it’s thick sufficient to cover flaws and block staining.
Our lining paper range includes standard liner paper which you use adhesive to, or paste the wall lining paper. Paste the wall surface may be much easier to hang while you apply the adhesive towards the wall as opposed to the paper, which means you don’t have hefty folded paper to hold. For paste the wall surface paper that is lining we suggest utilizing a paint roller to put on the adhesive into the wall surface.
Because of this project we’re making use of paste the paper liner paper, meaning that you use the adhesive towards the lining paper before hanging.
The adhesive required additionally differs based on whether you’re hanging paste the paper of paste the wall surface paper that is lining.
The width of lining paper may differ between 500 and 1000millimetres (mm). With wider liner paper you might want to purchase less rolls, nonetheless it may be more cumbersome to hold.
Just how to determine just simply how much liner paper is required
If for example the rolls of lining paper would be the size that is same a standard wallpaper roll (between 530 and 560mm wide and 10m in total). Utilize our calculator to observe how numerous rolls of lining paper you want.
In case your selected liner paper is just a various size (length or width), you’ll need certainly to do a little fundamental calculations to work through what amount of rolls you’ll need.
In any event, very very first gauge the areas that’ll be lined in metres, making an email regarding the size and height of each and every wall surface. Then determine any obstacles that are large won’t be covered, like windows and doors – since these areas is supposed to be subtracted.
To manually work out of the quantity of rolls needed, make use of this calculation that is simple
Step one: determine the size of lining paper required for one wall surface.
Divide the height for the wall surface (WH) by the width regarding the roll of liner paper (LPW) to obtain the duration of lining paper required for the wall surface (LPL).
E.g. 2.4m / 0.56m = 4.3m (curved up)
Step two: determine the quantity required for all walls.
Increase this figure by the border (P) of this space to obtain the total length of lining paper for the room (LPT).
E.g. 4.3m x 15m = 64.5m
Step three: determine the certain part of each home and window.
Grow the hinged door width (DW) because of the home height (DH) to obtain the part of the home (DA). Increase the window width (WW) by the screen height (WH) to obtain the section of the screen (WA).
Try this for many windows and doors.
E.g. Door 1 is 2.05m x 0.9m = 1.85m Door 2 is 2.05m x 0.9m = 1.85m
E.g. Window 1 is 1.5m x 1m = 1.5m
Step four: determine the total section of all windows and doors.
Include together areas for several windows and doors to obtain the total area (TA).
E.g. 1.85m + 1.85m + 1.5m = 5.2m
Action 5: determine the area that is total windows and doors.
Subtract the full total from step four through the total in step two getting the total duration of lining paper necessary for the area (T), excluding the doors and windows.
E.g. 64.5m – 5.2m = 59.3m
Step 6: include 10% additional for cutting.
Increase the full total from action 5 by 1.1, that may include 10% to permit for extra that you’ll hang and cut down ( E).
E.g. 59.3m x 1.1 = 65.23m
Action 7: determine the final amount of rolls needed.
Divide the full total from action 6 by the duration of the roll (L) and locate to provide you with the number that is total of needed (TR).
E.g. 65.23m / 20m = 3.26 (round as much as 4 rolls)
You shall require
- Lining paper
- Wallpaper adhesive – also referred to as wallpaper paste
- Versatile filler – if necessary to fill any gaps
- 80 grit sandpaper – also referred to as medium sandpaper – to fill out any gaps, if needed
- Sanding block
- Tiny nail – if utilizing a chalk line on a roof
- Dust sheets – either polythene or cloth dirt sheets are usable with this task, although polythene is slippery when utilized over difficult floor coverings
- Action ladder or work platform
- Wallpaper smoother
- Wallpaper brush that is pasting
- Pasting brush – not essential if making use of paste the wall surface lining paper
- Roller and tray – enables you to use paste the wall adhesive straight to walls or ceilings
- Tape measure
- Wallpaper scissors
- Big sponge
- Seam roller
- Chalk line – if hanging liner paper on a ceiling
- Claw hammer – if hanging liner paper on a roof (for chalk line nails)
- Filling blade – if needed
- Utility knife
- Long rule
- Wallpaper guide that is cutting
- Decorators coveralls
- Security goggles – if pasting a roof
- Dust mask – to put on if sanding
There is a couple of preparatory actions before beginning your lining paper task to aid prepare the space for enhancing.
In case your walls are freshly plastered, utilizing wall surface sealer (also called wall size) will seal the wall surface, stopping it from absorbing the wallpaper adhesive. It will help the paper stay glued to the wall surface and decreases the possibility that the liner paper will shrink. Connect with the wall employing a pasting brush or paint roller before you hang your lining paper. Proceed with the item directions for help with the length of time you need to wait after application before hanging the liner paper.
We recommend removing any existing layers of wallpaper before you hang the lining paper. Our guide to wallpaper that is removing walk you through the actions to stripping your walls back again to get a blank canvas ready for lining.
Before you can get started with hanging the liner paper, clear the room of furniture. This may allow it to be an easy task to maneuver around without obstacles getting back in the real means and avoids mess or harm through the paste.
Our guide on planning walls for painting contains steps for clearing the space, cleansing and fixing walls and light that is covering and fixings. These steps additionally submit an application for preparing a space before hanging lining paper.
Constantly make sure that the top is dry and clean.
If you’re hanging lining paper regarding the ceilings and walls of one’s room, we advice lining the roof first and then the walls after. This gives a neater finish around the edges. Jump to the ‘how exactly to hang liner paper on a roof’ before going back to the walls parts.
Health and safety first
- Keep glues and scissors away from reach of kids
- Constantly guarantee ventilation that is good application and drying of wallpaper pastes/adhesives
- Don’t switch on the electricity if paste drips onto a fitting that is electrical. Await it to dry up and, if required, look for assistance from an electrician that is qualified
- If wallpapering a roof, we advise having a helper to aid while you shall be working at height.